Sunday, September 27, 2015

UDC student spotlight: Webs Pierre

By Webs  Pierre

In summer 2015, the Ohio State University granted me acceptance into their Summer Research Opportunity Program, where I was located at their Ohio Agriculture Research and Development Center in Wooster, Ohio. I had the privilege of working on two experiments in the Department of Entomology- The Use of Various Treatments to Evaluate the Dispersion of Predatory Mites onto Greenhouse Benches, under the supervision of Dr. Luis Caῆas, and Relationship of Free Amino Acids to Thrips (Thrips tabaci) Populations in Field Onion (Allium cepa), under the supervision of Dr. Paul L. Phelan. After nine weeks of assimilating Integrated Pest Management, I presented my research findings, under Dr. Phelan, at The Ohio State University Research Symposium, Columbus, Ohio.
In this ten-week endeavor, I learned about agricultural science and learned the difference between conservational and organic farming. Within farming, I learned the significance of crop rotation, and biological and chemical analyst. We experienced the fundamentals of graduate school, and given tools and resources to apply into various graduate programs.


After completing my summer research program, I decided to volunteer at UDC Green Roof and Greenhouse. Every Wednesday and Saturday, I have the privilege of harvesting vegetables and planting new crops for the coming season. Sandy Farber is my supervisor, and she does a great job exhorting gardening! 


Webs Pierre is a senior majoring in Chemistry at the University of the District of Columbia (UDC). He also serves  as vice president of the UDC Minorities in Agriculture Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS), and green roof volunteer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment