CAUSES will host the 2016 Conference of the International Society for Ecological Economics (ISEE), June 26-29, 2016. The conference, Transforming the Economy: Sustaining Food, Water, Energy and Justice, will bring together more than 500 policy makers, researchers, and citizens committed to advancing tangible solutions for a sustainable and resilient economy.
As the science of sustainability, ecological economics must advance the transformation of the economy to support rather than debilitate the processes that sustain our living planet. Such a transformed economy supports the resilience of our planet and its life support systems rather than undermining it. This has implications for both local and global decision making, and for urban and rural communities. ISEE 2016 will focus on these critical themes, facilitating the dialogue between practitioners and researchers to advance such an economic transformation with an agenda that includes tangible solutions that support an economy that is in sync with the biological and physical systems of our planet and builds capacity for human well-being and justice.
Registration for the conference is open. Plenary speakers for ISEE include:
- Frances Moore Lappé, author of Diet for a Small Planet and Director of the Small Planet Institute
- Marina Silva, former Minister of Environment, Brazil
- Jairam Ramesh, former Minister of Environment
- Dr. Renato Maluf, President Emeritus, Food Policy Council of Brazil, and Professor, Federal Rural University of Rio de Janeiro
- Kanchan Chopra, former Director and Professor, Institute of Economic Growth in Delhi, India
- Mokgadi Monamati, Senior Natural Resources Specialist of the Department of Environmental Affairs and Industry of Botswana
- Dr. Shi Yan, President of Shared Harvest, and founder of the Community Supported Agriculture movement in Beijing, China
- Dr. Arild Vatn, Professor, Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU), Oslo
- Dr. Peter I. May, Senior Scientist, Biohabitats Inc. and University of Maryland, Dept. of Environmental Science
The International Society for Ecological Economics announced that Professor Kanchan Chopra and to Professor Arild Vatn will receive the 2016 Kenneth Boulding Award, which is given in honor of people who exemplify aspects of the special character of Kenneth E. Boulding with the hope of perpetuating his many individual strengths, that combined into his wisdom and lasting influence. The awards will be presented separately at a luncheon and evening banquet on June 28, 2016. Register for the special events here.
ISEE 2016 will be held on the campus of the University of the District of Columbia at 4200 Connecticut Ave. NW, Washington, D.C. For registration details and further information please visit www.isee2016.com.